I like any excuse to give someone a gift. Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Birthdays, Christmas, Arbor Day. Whatever. I like thinking of gift ideas, picking things out, wrapping them in cute ways, delivering them in fun ways… all of it!
In fact, our gift budget is one of the top 3 hardest categories for me to be thrifty and penny-pinching in while we get out of debt. Every time a birthday or holiday passes, I tell Ben, “When we’re out of debt, I want hundreds of dollars a month in our gift budget to give all the people all kinds of crazy gifts.”
I can’t be sure, but I’m guessing he’s tired of hearing that.
In the meantime, I will take all my gift-giving energy out on ridiculously long gift guides for every passing holiday. Today’s victim: Mother’s Day.
Here are a some fun gift ideas for the mommas in your life – ranging from handmade crafts by little ones to super sappy cheesy things bound to make mom cry to things you can get delivered to your door in 2 days to things you can pick up on the way to her house on Sunday.
CHEESY BUT CUTE PHOTO GIFTS
3. Collage Mug – I’ve used Walmart for these in the past, but Shutterfly has way more style and color options. These were a big hit with the grandmas in our life – they allegedly use them every single day. 🙂 An 11 ounce mug is your classic mug shape and size; a 15 ounce mug is a little bigger. 15 ounce is my favorite size!
4. Mixbook Mother’s Day Book – if you have easy access to your photos, one of these Mixbook mother’s day books would take you a couple hours at most to complete. The whole design is done for you. You just upload your photos to their site, click and drag them to the slots on the page and done. Mixbook is my favorite click & drag photo book site – it is so easy and the quality is great. If you hurry, you can get it in time for Mother’s Day with a 50% coupon! Or, just write a note in the card that your gift is awesome but it’ll be a few days late.
5. Frames – This window one is from Target if you’re in the order-online-mood. Otherwise, Marshalls and TJ Maxx are my go-to for big, inexpensive frames.
6. Picture Calendar– Shutterfly has tons of styles of calendars. Same idea as the photo book… it would be very easy to plug and chug your pictures into their template. Guessing you could do this one in less than an hour.
7. Mani/ Pedi Gift Card (bonus idea – with the most recent issue of her favorite magazine to browse while she’s there)
8. Massage gift card. 2 years ago on Mother’s Day I was 37 weeks pregnant with our second & was staying by myself with our 17 month old for 10 days while Ben finished grad school and moved us cross country by himself. Ben had flowers delivered and sent a card with a gift card for a local spa that was enough to cover a complete spa morning – massage, nails, facial, the works. Plus one for Ben.
9. Set up a lunch or dinner out with her friends and watch the kids while she enjoys a night out.
10. Take her out on an awesome date (if she’s your wife… if she’s someone else’s wife, send them on an awesome date. That goes without saying, right?)
RANDOM PRETTY THINGS
13. Jewelry handmade by moms in Haiti – this blesses the mom who receives it and the mom who made it!
14. Gift her a Stitch Fix box. A personal stylist to help a mom pick out clothes just her style and size… who then sends the clothes to your door for you to try on in your own house!? This is a mom’s dream!
15. For the thriftier mom – a gift card to my favorite online thrift store.
16. Beautiful scripture art for her walls. Or a gift card to choose her own!
17. These awesome bags that also give back!
RANDOM LITTLE THINGS
18. The world’s best measuring spoons.
19. The world’s most fun cupcake/muffin holders. These eliminate the need for muffin tins. If the momma in your life likes to bake, these are a must. (But if she’ll interpret the gift as saying, “make me some muffins, woman,” then don’t get them for her for mother’s day.) 😉 #protip #yourewelcome
20. A custom return address stamp – so cool!
21. A box of her favorite tea or coffee.
22. A cute mug to go with said tea or coffee.
24. Might as well get her a starbucks gift card while you’re at it 😉
25. Those awesome white serving bowls. (I have 2 of them and they’re the best size and shape!)
27. A calendar, print, or stationery from this online shop.
28. Her favorite ice cream with a promise that no one else will eat it. Or even ask to eat it.
FOR THE PRACTICAL MOM
29. A dustbuster for her car. Seriously. This would be awesome.
30. Along the same lines… an amazing vacuum or some norwex stuff. (Is it weird that I think high end cleaning products are a fun mother’s day gift? Again – know the momma you’re buying for. Cleaning products are not every mom’s idea of a great gift. Consider yourself warned.)
31. A costco membership & gift card.
32. Something you’ve heard her mention recently. (i.e. “bummer, my food processor broke” = your gift clue).
33. Do something for her that you know she wants done. (What has she mentioned/ asked you for a few times that no one has gotten around to yet?)
FOR THE CRAFTY AND/OR PHOTOGRAPHER MOM
35. A gift card to her favorite craft or fabric store. (Michael’s, Hobby Lobby, Local Fabric Store, etc…)
36. A polaroid camera (don’t forget the film + memory card)
37. A cute camera bag.
38. Or a cute strap if you’re budget is smaller.
FOR THE MOM WHO LIKES TO READ
40. A book for entrepreneurial moms (or moms who want to make some money from home & make a difference!)
43. A book about motherhood written so beautifully, I was either crying, laughing, or feeling big feels all the way through.
45. A book for a mom who needs balance (that would be every mom…)
46. A subscription to her favorite magazine.
47. The funniest book about parenting I’ve ever read. (And give it with a warning note & some depends… if she’s birthed 2 children or more, she will pee while reading this.)
48. A book you know she’s been wanting to read. Or 2.
49. A youtube video from the grandkids. Have them each say, “I love my mom/grandma because…” and give their own answers.
50. A box with 52 notes/ reasons you love her – 1 for each week till the next mother’s day.
51. Kids’ or grandkids’ art in a frame. Or in a book like this.
52. Let her sleep in – if you have small children, you probably have to take them out of the house as soon as they wake up for her to truly sleep in. 😉
53. Frame a couple of her family heirloom recipes.
54. A list of all the things you wish you’d said thank you for.
WAYS TO SERVE HER
55. Coupons for you to do her chores – but then you have to keep them and do them when they need to be done because she will never use them otherwise.
56. Breakfast in bed.
57. Cleaning up the mess that ensues from preparing and eating breakfast in bed.
58. Plant flowers in her yard.
59. Wash and vacuum her car. If you’re feeling wild, get it detailed!
60. A few gift cards to your family’s various favorite take out places in town – for her to use whenever she doesn’t feel like cooking over the next couple months.
61. A gift card to a local cleaning service for a handful of cleans. Or a deep clean. Or a biweekly cleaning lady for a few months. (I got this idea from a friend, whose parents gifted all their grown children a biweekly cleaning service for 1 year last Christmas. Brilliant!!)
62. Arrange for her to have a random day off.
63. Clean out the fridge.
64. Clean behind/ under the fridge and the stove. Clean the oven while you’re at it.
65. A big hug, a handwritten note, and a “thanks-for-being-my-mom.”
What’d I miss? Comment links or ideas below!