Hi, and welcome to Tune My Heart Blog!
I’m Renee. I love Jesus, my family, other people, and coffee.
Tune My Heart Blog is a site that encourages moms to find the rhythms and grace in their every day mom life.
By “rhythms” of everyday mom life, I mean the stuff that has to get done. Laundry, cleaning, feeding, potty training, and on and on. It’s amazing how all the mundane things can feel overwhelming at times. One of my goals on this site is to help you find rhythms that work for you that make those tasks more manageable.
If you are a Christian, you likely embrace the grace God gives you in order to be in a relationship with him. Grace for salvation. But the Bible teaches that grace – God’s unmerited favor and blessing – is for our everyday lives.
When Paul asked God to takeaway the “thorn in his side,” the Lord responded, “My grace is sufficient for you for my power is made perfect in your weakness.” For all our imperfect mothering, there is sufficient grace.
Hebrews 4:16 says we can approach the throne of grace with confidence, and receive mercy and grace to help us in our time of need. In the midst of our greatest moments of need, there is sufficient grace.
The ultimate goal of this blog is that you would be encouraged to receive grace in your time of need. Maybe your time of need is that 30 minutes before dinner when everyone’s going crazy and you lose it more than you care to admit. Or maybe, it’s the middle-of-the-night feedings that are going on longer than you’d hoped. Maybe you or your child got an unexpected diagnosis or you’re desperate to rekindle the flames with your spouse.
Whatever your time of need, there is grace for you.
WHAT’S WITH THE BLOG NAME?
It comes from one of my favorite hymns, Come Thou Fount.
Come Thou fount of every blessing
Tune my heart to sing thy grace
Streams of mercy, never ceasing
Call for songs of loudest praise
Teach me some melodious sonnet
Sung by flaming tongues above
Praise the Mount, I’m fixed upon it
Mount of Thy Redeeming Love
Oh, to grace how great a debtor
daily I’m constrained to be!
Let thy goodness, like a fetter,
bind my wandering heart to thee:
prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
prone to leave the God I love;
here’s my heart, O take and seal it;
seal it for thy courts above.
I love the imagery of the phrase… tune my heart to sing thy grace. It seems like an appropriate prayer for the calling of motherhood! Asking God to take my out-of-tune, out-of-sync, so-self-centered heart and tune it to sing HIS grace to people around me. I wrote more about the name of the blog here.
- In January of 2015, we started paying off gobs of student loan debt with gazelle intensity.
- We had 3 kiddos in 3 1/2 years. I stay home with them, which I view as a humongous privilege, even though at times, I’m certain I’m losing brain cells with each passing day.
- My husband is a genius tech nerd. He’ll be embarrassed if he finds out I said that on here. When I married him, he was a borderline hippie studying to be a sociologist.
- Our parenting philosophy can be summed up in: “Train up a child in the way s/he should go… pray continually… for everything there is a season… this too shall pass.”
- I taught high school choir for one year.
- I taught elementary school music for one year.
- I love budgeting.
- We lived in Boston for 9 months. It snowed a lot.
- A bunch of old ladies taught me to quilt and though I don’t make much time for it these days, I really enjoy it.
- The only social media platform I can tolerate is instagram. The rest make me all
SOME POSTS TO START WITH
I’m glad you’re here. I hope you find encouragement, maybe a laugh or two, and grace upon grace.